As students and colleges across the country grapple with the effects of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, U.News & World Report held its own Monday with the release of the 2021 edition of Best U.Colleges, a list that includes several schools including Michigan.
The University of Michigan remains the third-best public university in the United States in the latest rankings from U.News & World Report released Monday, September 12.
UM finished only behind the University of California Los Angeles and the University of California Berkeley, which placed 20th in the national rankings.
UM tied for 25th in the overall rankings, which include private schools. It dropped two spots from last year’s ranking, and tied with other public institutions, including the University of Virginia, as well as two private schools, New York University and the University of Southern California.
To rank colleges, U.S. News first placed each school into a category based on its mission and, in some cases, its geographical location in the United States. U.S. News then evaluated more than 1,400 colleges and universities on 17 indicators of academic quality. The colleges are ranked based on their overall scores.
The data used for this year’s ranking was collected in spring and early summer of 2020; However, the publication noted that the pandemic did not affect the numbers.
This year’s edition also includes several updates to the methodology. The new measures address current issues such as student debt, social mobility and blind admissions policies. The news also added new weights and indicators for historically black colleges and universities, and added a new ranking for computer science programs.
List of Michigan colleges and universities that are included in this year’s rankings:
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor. Ranked No. 24.
- Michigan State University, East Lansing. Ranked No. 80.
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton. Ranked No. 153.
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit. Ranked No. 187.
- Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant. Ranked No. 249.
- Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo. Ranked No. 258.
- Andrews University, Berrien Springs. Ranked No. 298-389.
- Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti. Ranked No. 298-389.
- Ferris State University, Big Rapids. Ranked No. 298-389.
- Oakland University, Rochester. Ranked No. 298-389.
- University of Michigan-Flint, Flint. Ranked No. 298-389.
National Liberal Arts Colleges
- Hillsdale College, Hillsdale. Ranked No. 54.
- Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo. Ranked No. 67.
- Hope College, Holland. Ranked No. 112.
- Albion College, Albion. Ranked No. 130.
- Aquinas College, Grand Rapids. Ranked No. 171-221.
- Calvin University, Grand Rapids. Ranked No. 3.
- Kettering University, Flint. Ranked No. 9.
- Grand Valley State University, Allendale. Ranked No. 28.
- University of Michigan-Dearborn, Dearborn. Ranked No. 31.
- Lawrence Technological University, Southfield. Ranked No. 37.
- Spring Arbor University, Spring Arbor. Ranked No. 51.
- Madonna University, Livonia. Ranked No. 60.
- Cornerstone University, Grand Rapids. Ranked No. 76.
- Northern Michigan University, Marquette. Ranked No. 76.