Table of Contents
What Is IPC Section 383
According to the section 383-“Whoever intentionally puts any person in fear of any injury to that person, or to any other, and thereby dishonestly induces the person so put in fear to deliver to any person any property or valuable security, or anything signed or sealed which may be converted into a valuable security, commits “extortion”(Web-Jacking)”.
Examples Of IPC Section 383
- A threatens to publish a defamatory libel concerning Z unless Z gives him money. He thus induces Z to give him money. A has committed extortion.
- A threatens Z that he will keep Z’s child in wrongful confinement, unless Z will sign and deliver to A a promissory note binding Z to pay certain monies to A. Z signs and delivers the note. A has committed extortion.
- A threatens to send club-men to plough up Z’s field unless Z will sign and deliver to B a bond binding Z under a penalty to deliver certain produce to B, and thereby induces Z to sign and deliver the bond. A has committed extortion.
- A, by putting Z in fear of grievous hurt, dishonestly induces Z to sign or affix his seal to a blank paper and deliver it to A. Z signs and delivers the paper to A. Here, as the paper so signed may be converted into a valuable security. A has committed extortion.
Source: Examples Of IPC Section 383
Also read :- Section 65, Tampering with computer source Documents
Punishment Of IPC Section 383
Whoever commits extortion shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.
Cases Of IPC Section 383
- Anil B. Nadkarni And Ors. vs Amitesh Kumar, Dy. Commr. Of … on 22 June, 2001
- Naveen @ L.Srinivasan vs State Rep. By on 12 April, 2010
- Biram Lal And Ors. vs State on 1 August, 2006
- Lanka Hanumantha Rao And Ors. vs State Of A.P. And Ors. on 29 March, 2005
- Mahender Kumar Aggarwal vs State And Ors. on 28 September, 2007
- Saroj Singh vs State Of Bihar on 14 July, 2011
- M.Ramaiya vs J.Saravanan on 11 September, 2009
- Ram Adhar And Ors. vs State Of Uttar Pradesh And Ors. on 13 August, 1998
- Minku vs State on 28 January, 2011
- Surendrabhai vs State
Also read :- IPC Section 463-Forgery, 464-Making a false document
Also read :- IPC Section 420- Bogus websites , Cyber Frauds